Limelight Theatre School LTD General Data Protection Regulations 2018
In accordance with the GPDR Statement.
GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation and replaces the previous Data Protection. It was approved by the EU Parliament in 2016 and comes into effect on 25th May 2018. GDPR states that personal data should be ‘processed fairly & lawfully’ and ‘collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes’ and that individuals data is not processed without their knowledge and are only processed with their ‘explicit’ consent. GDPR covers personal data relating to individuals. Limelight Theatre School LTD is committed to protecting the rights and freedoms of individuals with respect to the processing of children’s, parents, visitors and staff personal data. The Data Protection Act gives individuals the right to know what information is held about them. It provides a framework to ensure that personal information is handled properly.
What we do at Limelight Theatre School LTD:
- We do not disclose or sell personal data to third parties.
- We do not disclose personal data to other members of Limelight and their families.
- Limelight uses contact numbers and emails for communication with and updates to parents, whole school and individual communication, invoices and general information.
- Emergency Parent contact numbers are given to Limelight Theatre School LTD for the use of emergency contact & for contact in respect of theatre School business only.
- Personal data is stored in a locked password protected computer database, which in turn is protected within a secure alarmed building.
- Paper registration forms are stored in a secured filing cabinet.
- Hard copy information is destroyed via a shredding device when no longer relevant or required.
Information about individual children is used in certain documents, such as, a weekly register. These documents may include data such as children’s names, date of birth and emergency contact numbers. These records are shredded after the relevant retention period.
Limelight Theatre School LTD collects personal data every year including; names and addresses, telephone contact numbers and email addresses. These records are shredded if the child does not attend or added to the child’s file and stored appropriately.
Limelight Theatre School LTD stores personal data held visually in photographs or video clips or as sound recordings. No names are stored with images in photo albums, displays, on the website or on Limelight Theatre School social media sites without express permission.
Access to Limelight’s Email account, Website, Personal Data and Social Media Accounts is password protected and is not available to members of the Public, members of the School and or it’s staff. Only the company directors have access to all this. Any portable data storage used to store personal data, e.g. USB memory stick, are password protected and/or stored in a locked filing cabinet.
GDPR includes 7 rights for individuals
1) The right to be informed
Limelight Theatre School LTD collects parents’ and or guardians’ names, addresses, emergency telephone numbers and email addresses. We also collect children’s full names, addresses, date of birth along with any SEN requirements and are stored via a secure electronic system and paper registration forms are stored in a secured filing cabinet at the School’s offices.
This is in respect of our Health and Safety and Safeguarding Policies.
2) The right of access
At any point an individual can make a request relating to their data and Limelight Theatre School LTD will need to provide a response (within 1 month). Limelight Theatre School LTD can refuse a request, if we have a lawful obligation to retain data but we will inform the individual of the reasons for the rejection.
3) The right to erasure
You have the right to request the deletion of your data where there is no compelling reason for its continued use. However, Limelight Theatre School LTD has a legal duty to keep student and parents details for a reasonable time*. All hard copy information is destroyed via a shredding device.
* Limelight Theatre School LTD holds personal data while the student is registered at the School. The School requires a written notice to leave the School to put into place the erasure of your data. If records of this is not found, The School will continue to use your data for School purposes only.
4) The right to restrict processing
Parents, visitors and staff can object to Limelight Theatre School LTD processing their data. This means that records can be stored but must not be used in any way, for example School Communications, General Emails about School news and updates. In this situation, The School has no obligation to refund any classes missed or cancelled due to ‘lack of communication’. It will be the parent’s responsibility to ensure they are informed about any events happening at the School.
5) The right to data portability
Limelight Theatre School LTD requires data, for example registration forms to be transferred from student, to teacher, to company director.
6) The right to object
Parents, visitors and staff can object to their data being used for certain activities like marketing or research.
7) The right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
Automated decisions and profiling are used for marketing-based organisations. Limelight Theatre School LTD does not use personal data for such purposes.
This Policy was issued by Company Director James McCann on behalf of Limelight Theatre School LTD in May 2018.
Policy review date: May 2019